http://www.nevsky-prospekt.com
 
     
 
       

The Admiralty

 
Picture and Hyperlink - Admiralty post card.

Just like the city of St. Petersburg itself, the original Admiralty was also created by Peter the Great. Situated directly across the Neva from the treasured Peter and Paul Fortress, SPb's oldest construction, the Admiralty began life as a fortified shipyard in 1704. Then it was surrounded by a moat and had four bastions at its corners. In 1711, a tower was added to the center of the front facade and then a spire was built atop of that.

Peter was obsessed with creating a navy even though Russia only had one seaport at the turn of the 18th century; Archangel in the frozen north. This desire more than anything else, prompted the Great Northern War against Sweden and its king, Charles (Karl) XII.

 
In those early days up to 10,000 tradesmen labored around the clock in this guarded enclave, to build Peter his navy and the first warship was lowered into the Neva in 1706. Peter himself a proficient carpenter and ship designer (amongst his many talents) could often be seen toiling in the shipyard.

Built mainly of wood in its original form, the central gate tower with its golden spire was born of Ivan Korobov's design in 1730. The 'High Classicism' building of the Admiralty as we see it today was reconstructed during the reign of Alexander I between 1806 & 1823. The chosen designer was one of Russia's most inspired architects, Adrian Zakharov who was then a professor at the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts. Today the tiered tower is covered with statues and the attic level frieze portrays Neptune, the Roman god of the sea, handing Peter the Great his trident of power. On the next level up we can see four statues of ancient military leaders, Achilles, Ajax, Pyrrhus and Alexander the Great. Higher still, the tower is encased behind 28 slender stone columns which support a cornice having 28 sculptures. These figures symbolize the elements, Air, Earth, Fire and Water, plus the seasons of the year, and winds of each compass point.

Sadly, the sculptures one can view today are but a part of the original decorations which adorned the building. In 1860 many others were mercilessly destroyed when the clergy allegedly insisted upon all so called pagan statues be removed. This was carried out with the approval of Tsar Alexander II and 22 ornate figures which had adorned the porticoes, were religiously crushed and used as rubble under new buildings.

Even though Zakharov is credited with drawing up the blue prints for this new Admiralty he died in 1811 long before the Admiralty was finished in 1823. The remodeling of the Admiralty was his greatest and most successful project. It is one, if not the most beautiful public monument of the Neoclassical period in St.Petersburg

The architecture and decorative sculptures have definite naval themes and glorify the greatness of Russia. The remarkable façade is well over 400 meters in length and its golden spire is 73 m tall. Atop this gilded spire is the weather vane korablik ("the little ship") that is in the shape of the Great Peter's personal ship. In 1886 the original ship-vane was removed from the spire for display in the Naval Museum and a replica was put in its place. The silhouette of this vessel had another purpose during the days of sailing ships. Branding irons with this design were used to mark trees scheduled to be cut down for shipbuilding.

The naval theme continues at ground level also. Like three tines from a giant trident belonging to Neptune, three of St. Petersburg's great avenues, including Nevsky Prospekt, radiate out from a point in front of the admiralty. The others being Gorokhovaya Ulitsa and Voznesensky Prospekt.

By the 1840s, shipbuilding had moved downstream and the Admiralty was taken over by the Navy. Both the Ministry of the Navy and the Naval Museum were housed here up to 1917 when it became the last rallying point for Tsarist forces prior to the Revolution. Since 1925, the Naval Engineering school has occupied the site, whilst the Naval museum was relocated across the Neva in the former Stock Exchange. The Admiralty sustained grave damage during the blockade of Leningrad. In total the ensemble had 26 high-explosive as well as hundreds of incendiary bombs dropped on it. Plus it was regularly bombarded by long range artillery from the German lines, suffering over 50 direct hits. Now the grounds of the Admiralty are open to the public and during the summer months the Gorky Gardens on the side farthest from the Neva are particularly attractive.
 

home

Acknowledgment; Thanks go to Tatiana Chernykhovskaya, Irina Tchij, Albina Edalova, Larisa Pivovarkina,
Natasha Grigorieva and Dr. Philip Murphy for their inspiration & help in creating this site.

Copyright © 2000-2017

Email Contact : neilsky@nevsky-prospekt.com